Saturday August 25, 2018
10:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Jaffe Center for Book Arts and throughout FAU’s Wimberly Library 3rd Floor East
FREE ADMISSION plus FREE PARKING in the nearby parking garage!
The Jaffe Center for Book Arts is taking over the third floor east of our home base, FAU’s Wimberly Library, for our second annual Wayzgoose Festival! What’s a Wayzgoose? More on that later.* First, here’s what you can expect at this one, our best yet:
• Activist Printer BEN BLOUNT of Evanston, Illinois <http://benblount.com>, will be running print demos all day in the Print Shop. Ben will deliver a Gallery Talk in the Book Arts Gallery at 3. (He’ll also teach a workshop the next day, Sunday August 26.) Alongside Ben’s activist spirit, we’ll have the LEAGUE of WOMEN VOTERS here ready to register voters. Ben’s visit is sponsored in part by Convivio Bookworks.
• Live music all day with some of our favorite local musicians!
HUMBLE WATERS (11 to 2) and ELLA HERRERA (2:30 to 5:30).
• Plenty o’fun! CORNHOLE games by Nailed It Wood Creations. CRAFT PROJECTS: Printing, of course, in the Print Shop, and we’ll teach you how to make your own traditional paper printers’ hats from newspaper (thanks to our friends at Rare Book School at the University of Virginia). Plus we’re transforming the Bindery with the installation of a Jaffe Collection piece that we rarely display: the Contemplation Tent by Louise Silk. Inside the tent: an exquisite corpse community writing project––each writer writes two sentences based on the sentence they see above. The goal? A wonky and entertaining short tale. (It’s a tradition that goes back to the Surrealists, so…)
• Local makers! The WAYZGOOSE MAKERS MARKETPLACE throughout the library's 3rd floor east wing. We’ll be selling our usual wonderful doughnuts plus, for this market, fresh artisan breads from Louie Bossi’s Ristorante, Bar & Pizzeria. Plus a pretty amazing White Elephant Sale benefitting JCBA’s Dorothy Hamilton Memorial Scholarship Fund.
The Jaffe Center for Book Arts is located on the third floor east of Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library. From I-95 or the Florida Turnpike, exit Glades Road, east. The FAU campus is located just east of I-95. If you enter the campus at FAU's main entrance (the one furthest west on Glades Road... and the first one you get to approaching from I-95 or the turnpike), you will enter on West University Drive. Continue straight on West University Drive to the traffic light at its intersection with Volusia Street. Turn right onto Volusia Street. You will see a parking garage on Volusia Street, and the Wimberly Library is the next building east of the parking garage (which is where you should park).
The brand new I-95 interchange for Florida Atlantic University (Exit 48A) takes you directly from the interstate to FAU. Once you pass the traffic light at Spanish River Boulevard, you are on the FAU campus on FAU Boulevard. Continue to the traffic signal at the intersection of FAU Boulevard and University Drive (FAU Stadium will be on your right). Turn right onto University Drive. Turn left at the traffic signal at Volusia Street. You will see a parking garage on Volusia Street, and the Wimberly Library is the next building east of the parking garage (which is where you should park).
FREE PARKING for this event in the Parking Garage just west of the library! Parking rules will be in effect for all other parking areas, including Volusia Street and the Library Parking Lot…. So please park in the Parking Garage only.
* SO… WHAT EXACTLY is a WAYZGOOSE? A Wayzgoose is a popular celebration for book artists and papermakers, but especially for printers. If you hang around places like the Jaffe Center, “Wayzgoose” is a word you’ll hear every now and then. It’s got its origins in old English printers’ celebrations that traditionally fell on Bartlemas––St. Bartholomew’s Day (the 24th of August). By the arrival of Bartlemas each year, printers began to light lamps and candles in their shops for typesetting, for sunlight, like summer itself, was quickly waning. And so on that day, a good printshop proprietor would bring in not just the lamps and candles, but also some good food and strong ale to boot. Was there goose involved? Perhaps. All we know for sure is this annual printers’ celebration became known eventually as a Wayzgoose, a name now forever (and happily) tied to the book arts.
Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 10:30am to 5:30pm
S. E. Wimberly Library, 3rd Floor East of the Library and the Jaffe Center for Book Arts
777 Glades Road, Boca Raton, FL 33431