Second Annual LIBRARY WAYZGOOSE FESTIVAL
Saturday August 24, 2019
10:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Jaffe Center for Book Arts and throughout FAU’s Wimberly Library 3rd Floor East
FREE ADMISSION plus FREE PARKING in the nearby parking garage!
Shattering the Quiet Library Myth for a second year in a row: On Wayzgoose Day (August 24), we’re taking over the third floor east of our home base, FAU’s Wimberly Library, with live music, print shop fun, a big Makers Marketplace, and much more!
• Woodcut printer VAL LUCAS of Bowerbox Press joins us from Monkton, Maryland <www.bowerbox.com>. Val will be running print demos all day in the Print Shop and she'll deliver a Gallery Talk in the Book Arts Gallery at 3. (She will also be teaching a workshop at the Jaffe Center on Friday August 23.) And at 1:00 in the Book Arts Gallery, as part of JCBA’s new exhibition “Building Stories: Alternative Storytelling,” our own Jeanne Jaffe will deliver a gallery talk about shadow puppets.
LIVE MUSIC all day with some of our favorite local musicians!
• Acoustic covers by RIO PETERSON (10:30 AM to 1 PM) –– spanning the Beatles to New Order and the Smiths.
• ALLEGRA MILES (1 to 3 PM) –– A 16 year old singer/songwriter with a soulful sound well beyond her years <www.allegramiles.com>.
• THE LUBBEN BROTHERS (3 to 5:30 PM) –– Our featured Wayzgoose band of incredibly talented triplet brothers bring you sweet harmonies and a big bluegrass sound. The Lubben Brothers will astound you! <www.thelubbenbrothers.com>
• LOCAL MAKERS! The Library’s 3rd floor elevators will open onto the WAYZGOOSE MAKERS MARKETPLACE, featuring lots of your favorite local makers and small creative boutiques. (Interested in vending? Write JCBA Director John Cutrone <email@example.com> for details.) We’ll be announcing our roster of makers by early August.
• ARTISAN BREAD! The good folks at Louie Bossi’s Ristorante, Bar & Pizzeria <www.louiebossi.com/boca-raton> are sponsoring this year’s Wayzgoose and providing us with scores of loaves of their delicious artisan sourdough breads, made fresh that morning, that you can purchase to take home. Sales fully benefit the Jaffe Center.
• THE BEST DOUGHNUTS! We know some folks who come to our Makers Marketplaces just for the doughnuts. The Wayzgoose will be no different. Our friends at Convivio Bookworks <www.conviviobookworks.com> will be providing the amazing doughnuts and coffee.
• WHITE ELEPHANT SALE benefitting JCBA’s Dorothy Hamilton Memorial Scholarship Fund. Who knows what treasures you will find?
• CRAFT PROJECTS: Printing, of course, in the Print Shop, and we’ll teach you how to make your own traditional paper printers’ hats (courtesy Rare Book School at the University of Virginia). And while last year’s Exquisite Corpse community writing project didn’t quite work out, we still believe it’s got great potential… so we will once again transform the Bindery with the installation of “The Contemplation Tent" by Louise Silk. Inside the tent: an exquisite corpse community writing project––each writer writes two sentences based on the sentence they see above. The goal? A wonky and entertaining short tale. It’s a tradition that goes back to the Surrealists. This year, we’ll be sure to provide extremely concise directions so everyone understands how it works.
Watch for the MAKERS MARKETPLACE signs that will be posted on Wayzgoose day on FAU campus roads. The Jaffe Center for Book Arts is located on the third floor east of Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library. From I-95 or the Florida Turnpike, exit Glades Road, east. The FAU campus is located just east of I-95. If you enter the campus at FAU's main entrance (the one furthest west on Glades Road... and the first one you get to approaching from I-95 or the turnpike), you will enter on West University Drive. Continue straight on West University Drive to the traffic light at its intersection with Volusia Street. Turn right onto Volusia Street. You will see a parking garage on Volusia Street, and the Wimberly Library is the next building east of the parking garage (which is where you should park).
The new I-95 interchange for Florida Atlantic University (Exit 48A) takes you directly from the interstate to FAU. Once you pass the traffic light at Spanish River Boulevard, you are on the FAU campus on FAU Boulevard. Continue to the traffic signal at the intersection of FAU Boulevard and University Drive (FAU Stadium will be on your right). Turn right onto University Drive. Turn left at the traffic signal at Volusia Street. You will see a parking garage on Volusia Street, and the Wimberly Library is the next building east of the parking garage (which is where you should park).
For this event, park free of charge in the Parking Garage just west of the library! Parking rules will be in effect for all other parking areas, including Volusia Street and the Library Parking Lot…. So please park in the Parking Garage only.
WHAT EXACTLY is a WAYZGOOSE?
A Wayzgoose is a popular celebration for book artists and papermakers, but especially for printers. If you hang around places like the Jaffe Center, “Wayzgoose” is a word you’ll hear every now and then. It’s got its origins in old English printers’ celebrations that traditionally fell on Bartlemas––St. Bartholomew’s Day (the 24th of August). By the arrival of Bartlemas each year, printers began to light lamps and candles in their shops for typesetting, for sunlight, like summer itself, was quickly waning. And so on that day, a good printshop proprietor would bring in not just the lamps and candles, but also some good food and strong ale to boot. Was there goose involved? Perhaps. All we know for sure is this annual printers’ celebration became known eventually as a Wayzgoose, a name now forever (and happily) tied to the book arts.
Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 10:30am to 5:30pm
S. E. Wimberly Library, 3rd floor east and Jaffe Center for Book Arts
777 Glades Road, Boca Raton, FL 33431